Since I published the recipe for healthier bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, it has been one of the most popular posts on Hot, Spicy and Skinny. Those poppers are super delicious and make for such fun party food.
But, unfortunately, we can’t eat appetizers all the time. So I took all the ingredients for the poppers, rolled them into a chicken breast and wrapped it all up with turkey bacon. You get all the best things about jalapeño poppers- the spicy jalapeños, the crispy bacon, the melted cheese- with tender chicken to get a great main course. Is it still good? The commenters down below seem to think so!
The best part is how healthy this is. Instead of relying on loads of cheese, this recipe uses chopped mushrooms as the main base. Then you add a bit of cheese and loads of jalapeños. Before you start thinking this is too healthy, relax. All the right flavors are there.
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken
- 6 ounces of mushrooms (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1-3 jalapeños, chopped (I like my food spicy and 3 is perfect for me)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 6 chicken breasts, 4 ounces each
- 12 slices of nitrate-free turkey bacon (you’ll use 2 slices for each chicken breast)
- Baking dish
- Cooking spray or parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚.
2. You may want to pound your chicken breasts so they are thinner. Sometimes you can buy chicken breasts that are labeled “thin slice” or you can buy chicken tenders. Either way, I prefer to pound them first to get a uniform width. Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag and use a mallet to pound them thin enough to roll easily.
3. Give the mushrooms a rough chop. They just need to be in bite-sized pieces.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the mushrooms, jalapeños, garlic, cheese and Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt is really just holding the mixture together so you just need barely enough to bring the ingredients together.
6. Add approximately two tablespoons of the mushroom mixture to the chicken. Carefully roll up the chicken and turkey, creating a fat roll. Use the toothpicks to secure the roll. I’m a clutz and I can still manage this roll without all the stuffing coming out. You’ll be a pro.
Note: If I ever have extra mushroom mixture, I just add it to the baking dish to cook alongside the chicken.
Yields 6 Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast with 2 strips of turkey bacon and 1/6 of the mushroom mixture
Weight Watchers Points+: 7
Calories 219, Carbs 2, Fat 7g, Protein 43g
If you liked this recipe, you might like: