Do you want to know a secret? Social events undo me. I cook all these very healthy meals every night, but, then, I go out. One beer, one nacho, one egg roll and I’m all, like, “What? I eat healthy? No way. I run a blog about it? Not me. Tonight, I’m gonna be HOT and SPICY- but NOT skinny.”
Ugh. Nothing is worse than seeing the progress of a good week go down the drain because fried food, booze and friends are just too much fun.
But it’s the holidays! This means lots of holiday parties. And holiday parties make me happy. So, I bring appetizers that are clandestinely calorie smart. These poppers are a good example. I switch out cream cheese for mushrooms and Greek yogurt, wrap them in turkey bacon, and nobody notices. Each one of these nifty poppers is only 1 point.
Healthy Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
adapted from Food.com
- 12 large jalapeños
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack, Manchego, Pepper Jack, goat cheese or anything that melts well)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 12 slices of turkey bacon (look for nitrate-free bacon, I like Trader Joe’s uncured bacon)
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚.
2. Remove the stems from the jalapeños. Slice each one in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and the white membranes inside. You may want to use a spoon or wash your hands very carefully afterwards. Do not touch your eyes! Use gloves if you’re particularly sensitive.
3. Combine the mushrooms, cheese, yogurt and garlic in a bowl, stir well. Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the mushroom mixture into each jalapeño.
4. Slice each bacon strip in half lengthwise, that’s hot-dog style, folks. Wrap the bacon around each jalapeño, secure with a toothpick.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Weight Watchers Points+: 1
Calories 30, Carbs 1g, Fat 2g, Protein 5g