Healthy Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers (1 point)

Healthy Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers 2aDo you want to know a secret? Social events undo me. I cook all these very healthy meals every night, but, then, I go out. One beer, one nacho, one egg roll and I’m all, like, “What? I eat healthy? No way. I run a blog about it? Not me. Tonight, I’m gonna be HOT and SPICY- but NOT skinny.”

Ugh. Nothing is worse than seeing the progress of a good week go down the drain because fried food, booze and friends are just too much fun.

But it’s the holidays! This means lots of holiday parties. And holiday parties make me happy. So, I bring appetizers that are clandestinely calorie smart. These poppers are a good example. I switch out cream cheese for mushrooms and Greek yogurt, wrap them in turkey bacon, and nobody notices. Each one of these nifty poppers is only 1 point.

Healthy Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers

adapted from Food.com
Ingredients:

• 12 large jalapeños
  • 2 cups mushrooms, finely choppedfavorite
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack, Manchego, Pepper Jack, goat cheese or anything that melts well)
  • 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 12 slices of turkey bacon (look for nitrate-free bacon, I like Trader Joe’s uncured bacon)

Directions:

1.         Preheat the oven to 450˚.

2.         Remove the stems from the jalapeños. Slice each one in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and the white membranes inside. You may want to use a spoon or wash your hands very carefully afterwards. Do not touch your eyes! Use gloves if you’re particularly sensitive.

3.         Combine the mushrooms, cheese, yogurt and garlic in a bowl, stir well. Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the mushroom mixture into each jalapeño.

4.         Slice each bacon strip in half lengthwise, that’s hot-dog style, folks. Wrap the bacon around each jalapeño, secure with a toothpick.

5.         Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Yields 24 servingsHealthy Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Popper
Serving Size: 1 popper

Weight Watchers Points+: 1

Calories 30, Carbs 1g, Fat 2g, Protein 5g

{ 8 comments… add one }

• Ari @ Ari's Menu December 6, 2012 at 10:50 am

These look delicious!! I’ve been wanting to make jalapeno poppers for a while now, and these look like perfection! PS: Before I got my blog design, I used the same theme as you ;) It’s so pretty!

Reply edit
  • Kristen@Slender Kitchen December 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

These looks delicious! I love the idea of using mushrooms to cut down on the cheese but still make sure they taste delicious.

Reply edit
  • Christina Rodriguez December 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Ooo…. I like that these are halved… I just made some stuffed chipotle peppers (which are just dried smoked jalapeños, which I soaked in warm water for a few hours before stuffing) the other day. Stuffed them with a quick tuna salad, though they did turn out a tad dry (didn’t use any mayo). Next time though I will try with yogurt (the husband doesn’t have to know >:) … Though when I make them again, I will just use fresh jalapeños, as I like their flavor a lot more.

Reply edit
    • hotspicyandskinny December 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I never thought of stuffing jalapenos with tuna salad. I would enjoy that very much. I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt for everything that calls for mayo, adding a bit of lemon juice or vegetable oil if needed. Works like a charm!

Reply edit
  • Casandra Myers March 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I love the idea of this. It sounds terrific other than my whole family doesn’t like mushrooms. Do you think that something like zucchini would work so long as I take out the seeds and only use the meat of the zucchini?.

Reply edit
    • Hot, Spicy and Skinny March 19, 2013 at 8:33 pm

They don’t like mushrooms! That’s loco :)
      Hmmm… The mushrooms are really just there as a filler to bring down the calorie count while adding a “meaty” quality. Most people can’t even tell that the mushrooms are there since they are chopped up finely and overwhelmed with the jalapeno and bacon flavors. Zucchini could work, maybe also eggplant or even cauliflower. I would probably substitute cauliflower since I’ve been using that as a filler in other things lately (potato soup, mac and cheese) and it acts as a great filler without overwhelming other flavors.

Reply edit
      • Casandra Myers March 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

Ok, so my husband and son can’t stand cauliflower either. Wow, I’ve got my work cut out for me. I’m going to try the zuchinni this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. Maybe I’ll even try some mushrooms in some to see if they can tell.

Reply edit