Creamy and savory, this soup has all the best elements of a chicken pot pie filling without the cream or butter. Of course, the best part of a chicken pot pie is always the crust but, unfortunately, that’s the least healthy part. So to give it a healthier twist, this soup is accompanied by a masa harina biscuit. So this biscuit uses wholesome ground corn instead of bleached flour and butter. But even if you don’t make the biscuits, it’s still a delicious soup.
Enjoy this lightened up version!
Turkey Pot Pie Soup with Masa Biscuits
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. turkey, shredded or chopped
- 10 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (I used roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts leftover from Thanksgiving)
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
For the soup:
1. In a bowl, mix a 1/2 cup of the broth with the 1/4 cup of masa harina. Whisk together to create a slurry that will thicken up the soup. Put it to the side for now.
2. Give the onion a quick sauté with cooking spray or a bit of olive oil. Add the rest of the soup ingredients to a pot and heat until everything is cooked through and nice and hot. Add into the slurry and stir.
For the biscuits: (for more detailed instructions, with pictures, click here)
1. Mix the masa harina, water and salt in a bowl.
3. Cook the biscuits on a pan (no oil) over medium heat. Cook them for 3-5 minutes on each side. You want light brown to dark brown spotting.
Serving Size: 2 cups soup with 1 biscuit
With masa biscuit:
Weight Watchers Points+: 7
Calories 276, Carbs 44, Fat 2, Protein 24
Weight Watchers Points+ without biscuit: 4
Calories 166, Carbs 21, Fat 1, Protein 21
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: