This is my go-to chili sauce. I smear it on sandwiches, drizzle it on tacos, add it to soups, mix it into marinades and put it on the side of eggs and any and all meats. By controlling the amount of chipotle peppers, you can control the heat.
Amped-Up Red Pepper Paste
adapted from The New Portuguese Table (Clarkson Potter Publishers, 2009)
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobado sauce
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 9 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
1. Combine all ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender or food processor until ingredients are finely minced.
2. Slowly add olive oil with the motor running.
Yields 1 ½ cups. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 1 point for 1 tablespoon
Per tablespoon: 45 calories, 3.5g fat, 0mg chol., 0g protein, 2g carbs, 1g fiber, 540mg sodium
This sauce should stay fresh in the fridge for a month.